What are Nexis and Factiva? They are commercial competitors that archive the backfiles of thousands of publications, including newspapers, magazines, newsletters, media transcripts and others, such as major blogs.
- The difference between the two services is not significant.
- Since it’s owned by Dow Jones, Factiva has the exlusive online full text content of the DJ wires, WSJ, Barron’s and Reuters wires.
- The command languages are different, but the functions are the same.
Using the services–key points:
- It is expected that this type of background work should be performed for every work assignment to bring context and details to the story.
- It should bring to light any article that’s already been written on the topic, person, event or company.
- For the most part, these publications have been vetted for errors.
- This is searching the deep web, that which doesn’t show up when search engines crawl the web. Cannot get this stuff on Google, for the most part.
- It’s all tagged/indexed consistently, resulting in more precise results.